SpeedingThis penalty carries a fine of up to $1,000.00 up to $20,000.00 for commercial motor vehicles.
- Exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/hour or more
- Exceeding the speed limit by 30-49 km/hour
- Exceeding the speed limit by 16-29 km/hour
- Exceeding the speed limit by 1-15 km/hour
The fines depend on the speeding ticket.
If excessive speed limit – Licence Suspension
Avoid Hefty Fines
Driving along Ontario’s highways, there are a series of blue and yellow signs that clearly state how costly it can be to speed. If you’re caught going 50 km/h faster than the posted limit you could face:
- A fine of up to $10,000
- Roadside license suspension
- Having your vehicle seized
Even if you’re not from Ontario, get caught speeding there and those same consequences will apply. Plus, your home province’s transportation ministry – and your insurance company – will be informed of any traffic violations picked up elsewhere in the country. As well, many provinces have notification programs with neighboring states. Demerit points earned in New York or Michigan will be added to an Ontario driver’s total”